Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Kenyan Diet

I'm not saying that this is country wide, because I don't know. In our area though, we are eating a lot of bean, rice and corn based meals. A lot of runners asked me to write about the diet, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. For a couple that ate meat most meals of the day (an occasional burger for breakfast is nice), we have transistioned to a mostly vegetarian diet. The three main meals we have eaten are:
1. Githeri - This is kind of like a stew without the broth. It is made primarily of beans, corn, potatoes, kale, cabbage, and carrots. It is boiled in water. I belive, just barely covering the food. The water boils down, then let simmer. It has been served hot, and in something of a paste form. Not bad with hot sauce. I'd kill for a bottle of Cholula. Seriously.
2. Ugali- Maize (corn) flour boiled in water. Once it becomes firm, you eat it in pieces. Kind of like a large potful of a corn dumpling. Yummmy. Kinda tasteless.
3. Porridge - I still cannot figure out the name of the porridge. It is chock full of stuff though. Mix maize flour, wheat flour, soybeans, sorghum, water and milk. Boil it and serve in a cup. Mmmmmm. Kinda tasteless.

Here's a few more pics for you.
Drying out the running shoes. I have found that kiosks make the best dryers.
My new desktop.

The farmer's market. Word is Whole Foods is going to buy them out. I mean that in all seriousness.

This is Robert.
This is Lucy and Ann.

Let's talk again soon.
Kasper

No comments:

Post a Comment